Although I've extended the wires, I've decided to do two more things before doing further diagnosis of the problem. First, I had limited colors for the wires I used to extend each wire about 4 inches. So, I purchased all of the colors, including brown, violet, etc. I will redo the wires so that the right color is on the right terminal on the switch. Second, the spade connector set that I was using has round insulators, which makes them difficult to cram onto the switch terminals, which are really close together. I've ordered new spade connectors that have flat insulators. Once those arrive, I'll redo the extender wires again.