Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Lighted outside door handle

Once again I have replaced the bulb and circuit in the outside door grab handle. The problem was that moisture had gotten into the circuit and destroyed it. I removed the handle and cleaned up all the sealer that had been used trying to seal it. I then went and bought some clear sealer and once again I have tried to seal the moisture out. It looks like it sould work but before it also looked good. I am not sure how the water gets into it but must be coming arould the base. Have others had this same problem.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Our lighted handle was an aftermarket unit put on about a year ago. I had to replace the bulb this winter. One thing I did was bought a 4 pack of bulbs at Advance Auto. I got them in the aisle where they sell all the accent lights the kids put on and under their cars. A lot cheaper than the replacement bulbs at the dealers.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
darbyjudy

Default Unable to just replace the bulb

On the Grab Handle that is on my MH you cannot just replace the bulb, you have to replace a little circut board that has the bulb mounted on it. Cost is about $20
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
03heritagerider

Well twenty bucks isn't too bad.

Mine has a bulb and a little reflector inside the top metal cap. The cap is also the bracket that mounts onto the body. Just two wires that are routed to the porch light.

The original bulb was a minature incandescent. Hopefully, the LED replacement I got at Advance Auto, will last longer. The 4 pack of LED's was about $12.00.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
nuthut

darbyjudy, The lighted grab handle on my coach works tonight (tomorrow?). I am a new owner and I like the looks of the handle. I hope it keeps working for a long time. I would like to have the "porch light" and the grab handle work independently of each other or have a much smaller wattage bulb installed into the light above the door. The entry light (porch light) seems too bright and will attract bugs, however I have not been out overnight with it yet.

03heritagerider, 20 bucks IS bad for replacing a bulb of that wattage, especally if you are doing it over and over. The grab handle barely glows and you cannot tell if the light is even working in the daylight. You can buy a couple of headlight bulbs for that much money.

darbyjudy, I think the culprit to your problem may be the moisture you were talking about. Use some silicone grease around the rubber O-rings (if any, as I have not had the unit disassembled) and the sealant at the outside. This may help.