Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
GStream40
Site Team

Default 3rd Brake Light

Am I the only one that it bothers that we don't have a 3rd brake light on the rear of our coaches like I have seen on most other brands?

Maybe some of the GS models have them, but I don't remember seeing any with it installed.

The 3rd brake light has been a standard for many years on cars, pickups, vans, SUV's and just about any vehicle on the road.

I have been thinking about installing one on our coach that is high enough to be seen even when the toad is attached. It will be a LED 3rd brake light and similar to what was used on the Blazers and Suburbans.

What are your thoughts on the safety of a 3rd brake light?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
earljan34

Great idea!! By the way went to look at a 2006 Damon Tuscany #4077 nice layout but very poor workmenship! My GS on the trim is 100% better this thing had moldings falling off panels did not meet in general it left me with a bad feeling about Damon.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

I find that many SOB's, the cabinetry and workmanship in most GS RV's is hard to beat and make many in the same price range look bad, some worse than others.

Ron
Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
earljan34

You are right! I like my coach am getting most of the problems fixed myself only thing that I don't is right is when GS won't return your calls I gave up trying! If we could get more info on some of the systems things could repaired the problem I ran into was no one had any info on slideout, And what GS sent me did not apply to my coach whole deferent system, I still don't have all books that apply to this coach I have given GS the vin, prod date, and other info but they send books that don't apply. I have learned a lot about this coach as I fixed things that was fixed prior and not right. All in all if I can fix the problems it is a nice coach. the front fenders were one of the big problems but GS did step up to the plate snd replace them with friendship fenders problem solved.

Earl

Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

We had a problem with the left (drivers side) front fender that it was sitting in Florida and it cracked. It was replaced with another by our dealer/Gulf Stream. Then the replacement started "growing" with wrinkles at the top and dents in it. It was replaced a second time.

I talked to Brian Shea at a rally in 2005 and he said they had gotten a bad batch of plastic fenders and they would not sure what coaches were affected so they just had to wait to see which ones developed a problem, then replace those.

Ron
Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
earljan34

Ron, Mine craked because the tires hit the fenders on a turn the old fenders were not full arc. they told me at the factory they gave the coach a wider stance and added 22.5 tires and made no adj for the changes there fix was to cut flange off fender.That did not fly with me they showed me one they fixed the fender had no support. like I said I have tourmaster fenders on now tires don't even come close to hitting and they look as if they came that way if I don't tell anyone they don't even notice they did a good job!! As a matter of fact the picture in the avtor is with old fenders!

Earl

Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Hey Earl and Ron, I agree fully. we stop and look at coaches to get

new ideas. The finish and the trim in our GulfStream is much nicer

than coaches costing a lot more. Even Winnebago, that I had for

several years (it was a 1990) was finished very nice, but the new

models just look cheap and un-finished.

Best regards, Clyde
Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
earljan34

good moring! We owned a Pace Arrow 1988 fleetwood realy took care of the problems of delamation they reskinned the coach twice last dealer gave me a 10yr warranty in writing it never did it again! And the coach was out of warranty, But have looked at new PA and do not like them the workmenship is not their like the full wall slide but I think its going to present a lot of problems.

EARL

Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Bit of off topic going from my original question/subject of the 3rd brake light and what others think about the safety of not having one. I wanted to others opinion of the idea.

I have decided that I am going to install one. Will post pictures when I get done.

Ron