Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
J79Engine

Default Flat Screen Televisions in Class A Motorhomes

I look at catologs and on line and I never see Sony or other well known digital screens being offered for motorhomes or 5th wheels etc. Question I have are most brand flat screen televisions ok to be installed in motorhomes etc? I tried asking Sony.com and they replied it was too technical for them to answer by e-mail andd suggested I call their sales team or warrenty team if I already bought one. Sounded like a opertunity for them to sell me something rather then answer the question. If anyone has purchased their own flat screen and upgraded their 2 anolog TVs to digital screen, especially in a 2005 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 38SE (8.1 Gas/ 3 slides). I would like some ideas of how to perform that work or directions of what brand is best!
I just ordered a 2012 Terrain AWD for my wife and as a toad come next Spring.
Thanks;
F4 Phantom/J79Engine
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Flat Screen Televisions in Class A Motorhomes

Here is a useful thread to review about upgrading to full HD flat screen TVs in these coaches...my own Tour Master now has a Visio in the bedroom and a Samsung in the front. The tricky bit on selecting a replacement model is to find the required size, suitable thichness, front controls and speakers ( or modify the cabinetry to accommodate whichever of these parameters is less than ideal...)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2471

Let me know if you need more information.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
David Bott

Hi...

No issue at all with replacing them other than getting the new one to fit where you want it. Sometimes this takes woodworking for example.

If you are looking at new sets, suggest getting a LED/LCD set vs just LCD (which uses florescent tubes.) 4 pros for this...

1) LED's can not really be broken with the coach movement, very durable. (you are more likely to crack the panel glass than break an LED).
2) Lower power consumption thus allowing you to dry camp longer. (If you do that. Every little bit helps.)
3) LED's do not start to dim out over time that would really be perceivable like a florescent tube can.)
4) LED's produce a better quality light.

Side note...some people confuse LED with being an LED set. It is, but the LED is only used as the light source. The image is still produced by an LCD panel . So really you still have LCD and Plasma flat panels to choose from. But the LCD comes in two flavors, LED and florescent for the light source that needs to show though the LCD panel to produce an image.

Have fun.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
fordcobra420

Just new here with a '97 39' GS Senic Cruiser 300hp Cummins. My 1st rv. She hasn't been used for awhile, so just working things out. She is in fine shape, 74,000 miles. Does anyone have any pros/cons to share with me on this coach? Thanks
fordcobra420 is offline   Reply With Quote