Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
midranger

Default service contracts

I am about to become a new BT Cruiser owner and when I was asked about the extended warranty I was shocked at the cost!! This is my second rig and while it has been a while in between I don't remember them being as fragile as the guy trying to sell me on the additional coverage claimed. Do others have enough issues with their rigs to justify thousands to be sunk into these service deals, or am I just being naive?
midranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
TonyQ

Following.
TonyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
reality124

Unless your RV is under warranty, just do the repairs yourself or bring it into an RV shop. The cost will be cheaper in the long run compared to warranty contracts.
Even if you have a warranty, sometimes your just better off doing it yourself to get it done correctly and quicker.
reality124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
LabCab

Default Warranty

Warranty We had a warranty on our rig which is absolutely useless. Everything we had to have fixed was apparently “not covered”

I would never purchase a warranty again. It’s a heck of a lot easier to take the money out of your pocket and get it done and done right but it is to have to play games with people. Just my opinion though.
LabCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
jamesham

Smile

We are firmly in the camp that extended warranties are no good for the consumer, but great profit for the dealer. Only purchased one on a vehicle and everything that went wrong was something not covered. With all of the house and chassis items in a motorhome, I am sure they would respond that the repair was not covered except on the fifth Friday of the month or some such nonsense. We cover our own repairs by having a small amount moved internally by our credit union every month from checking into a separate account called vehicle repairs. It takes a while to build up a balance, but when it comes time for a set of new tires, we have the money avaialable.

[QUOTE=midranger;31846]I am about to become a new BT Cruiser owner and when I was asked about the extended warranty I was shocked at the cost!! This
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Photobug17

I guess I have to take the other side, I am glad I have the warranty. We bought a 2007 Sun Voyager four years ago and without the warranty we would be out of pocket in excess of &10,000 dollars. I am all about fixing issues myself, but Diesel engine issues are beyond my expertise. Turbo replace ment, warped manifold, fuel pump amongst other issues has made having extended warranty well with the cost. Now my situation is probably not the norm so probably shouldn’t go by my luck.
Photobug17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended, service, warranty