Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
BigBoyAl

Default Help with Manual on 2003 Yellowstone CC Class A

This RV rookie that is hoping to find someone that may have instructional or operator manuals for 2003+/- Model 8408 Gulfstream Yellowstone CC Class A? I purchased a nice rig last fall and slowly getting around to our first weekend run. I need help in understanding general operation procedures on about everything. Specifically right now I am stuck on troubleshooting frig, understanding if front AC works with back AC or fully independent and having trouble understanding what outlets/lights run off house batteries vs. shore power.
BigBoyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
Chuck v

Al,

The GS motorhome manual is VERY generic and not much help on the questions you have but I will attach here anyway.

All the interior lights that are 12 volt DC run off the "house" batteries, but are essentially running on shore power when connected because the Converter constantly tops up those batteries.

On my coach the front and rear AC units were separate with separate thermostats -- yours may be different.

What specific issues are you having with your frig?

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gulf Stream MotorizedOwnersManual.pdf (932.0 KB, 1 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
BigBoyAl

Thanx Chuck,
Had issues with two of the ceiling light fixtures not working, I ordered new LED fixtures to replace for less draw and to see if that fixes issue. AC unit in back works great, front AC operates well when on by itself but sits idle once back AC is turned on, both have separate thermostats - wondering if that is design to avoid overload?

As for frig, when I turn it on all the lights come on and when I push setting to Auto and wait for 10 mins, the Check light comes on. Assumed if I was plugged into shore power AC would kick in if propane was low but no dice. I plan to remove outside cover to look for problem but not real sure I know what to look for? Also read to run stove burners for a while to purge fuel lines but that has no bearing if not running on shore power, correct?

Appreciate the manual but as you said, pretty generic. I still have to try heater, water heater to test systems before heading out - any tops on starting those, RV sat for a year before I bought it.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
Chuck v

Al,

When you say you are on shore power -- is it a full 50 amp RV hookup or just an adapter cord plugged into household power in your driveway? You need a "full connection" to run both AC units at the same time... If your coach has a generator of a least 7 KW or so, both air conditioners should work when that is running (mine do...)

What model and brand refrigerator do you have? My coach had a 23 cu ft "residential refrigerator" that only operated off of 110 volt AC -- from shore power, generator or the AC Inverter. Residential refrigerators were not common until about 2005 or so, and your rig sounds like it is one of the small (8 to 10 cu ft?) propane/electric units. The propane function of those does need the gas to light via its internal electric spark ignition (DSI is the function name) and if that does not light the Check light comes on. If your burner is dirty it may need a cleaning to light properly. The advice to run the stove on gas is meant to verify/ensure all air is out of the supply lines after changing or filling the tank -- it has nothing to do with being on shore power as far a s gas operation is concerned. If you do a web search on the model of your frig, you should be able to download a manual that will be helpful.

The same thing happens for the propane cycle on the water heater via its DSI. If your water heater has an electric mode, that needs shore power (no battery mode for heating appliances of course...) and for my coach both modes could coexist. The space heating on these coaches is typically propane, and the fan runs on house batteries to allow for heat to be used when no shore power is available. You will find the heater to be noisy and to pull the batteries down fairly fast. Are you planning to do much "boon docking" or "dry camping" where no hookups are available??

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
BigBoyAl

Chuck,

RV is in storage and plugged into their electric 220V but I need to confirm it is a 50 amp circuit - Great point.

I haven't found ID tag on frig, guessing Dometic but not sure on model yet. It is definitely a smaller dual frig as buttons on control panel show both LP, Auto and AC. I will keep digging for frig model to get manual and open up the side to check the burner.

We probably won't need the heater just wanted to confirm it works. Honestly, I don't see us boondocking, probably the least would be electric & water with no sewer. Since we are new to all this we have to get our feet wet to know what we like / dislike.

Next will be water heater to see how it works but will open up outside to check burner on it before I try.

Thanks and will follow up after weekend.