Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
Skywagon

Default power loss, limp mode, no codes

Hello,

I have purchased a used 2006 Crescendo and have been experiencing intermittent power loss-limp mode. If I shut it off and restart it comes back for awhile. last dealer update was Jan 2013. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Bike Dr

My first thought would be change all feul filters and start there bad feul is definite possibility! I've seen it several times the coach just loses power and will shut off and restart but won't have no power at all.. I carry extra filters and a gallon of feul to refill the filters before installing them! And check and drain the water separator. Or change if need be..you never know if you could get a bad batch of feul on the road! It happens
I hope this helps a little!
I am assuming it is a diesel unit!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Skywagon

I did a complete service before traveling. engine oil, filters, both fuel filters, air filter. Replaced exhaust system after engine brake. It is a Cat C7 with 61000km (about 45,000 miles). I scanned it and found no steady codes but communication errors in history with TCM and exhaust brake. I suspect a poor connection somewhere, there is some corrosion on exposed surfaces but am hoping there is someone who had a similar experience that can provide guidance.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
Bike Dr

Okay now it does seem you have electrical issues! When I ran into problems like that...completely unhook the power from the batteries.
Go to all the main plugs especially where you noticed the corrosion pull the plug apart and clean all the terminals add dielectric grease to the terminal ports and pins and reconnect the plug. Do this with all the plugs and connections throughout the coach!
If you are still having an issue you will need to also look for mouse chews in the harness due to them sitting a lot. These are just suggestions to help aid in locating the problem.
In some cases I have had to replace either the tcm or the harness itself and that can be quite a job if it is the harness.
Hope this helps a little more!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Old 07-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
Skywagon

Thanks, Is there a wiring schematic available that you know of?
Old 07-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Bike Dr

I do know that others have had luck contacting gulfstream and a lady there was very helpful in the past try them first because you need it for your particular model it will be specific to yours
Old 07-31-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
Dennis4809

I had the exact same problem a year ago. Changed both fuel filters and the air filter. Shop could find no codes. Turned out to be at least one bad injector. Mechanic says that if the injector gets weak, engine compression can force air into the injector. It can then continue to the next injector. They were going to pull 2 and have them tested but due to time constraints, I just had all 6 replaced. A world of difference and now runs like it did years ago.

Good luck,
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #8
Skywagon

Thanks Dennis,

I will isiloale injectors and see if one is weak.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:48 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Hello,

I have purchased a used 2006 Crescendo and have been experiencing intermittent power loss-limp mode. If I shut it off and restart it comes back for awhile. last dealer update was Jan 2013. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
My understanding is HIGH TEMP CAUSES LIMP, alternate 5 cyl turn into air compressors to cool and allow to drive to roadside vs middle lane. So check cooling and temp sensors/ temp transmitters?
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #10
Skywagon

Thanks for responding. I see no temperature rise, is it still possible? I don't understand the #5 cylinder thing, can you explain further?

Thanks, Peter
Old 07-31-2022, 11:11 PM   #11
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

SORRY, THINK I WAS CONFUSING 10-CYL GAS VS DIESEL? Diesel I have no experience, except reading about REGEN causing limp ISSUES?
Old 08-01-2022, 05:53 AM   #12
Brian B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem on my Crescendo only to find out it was a radiator that was externally clogged from road dirt and debris, even though the gauge never showed a rise in temperature, there is a sensor there that causes limp mode after driving for a while. Good luck.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote