Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-30-2024, 10:40 PM   #1
BigHead

Default Running warm

Well Iím still working on my jack problem havenít much time it has been raining a lot were we live Iím having another issue we picked up the RV on a windy day a week ago and was going east with the wind on our side motor was running above half on the gauge but when we turned south 65 mph into the wind the temp started climbing and the engine said hot so I backed off to 55 and it cooled down any ideas what I should check first The engine is a ISL Cummings 425HP thanks in advance
BigHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:35 AM   #2
Chuck v

What was the wind speed?? Running into a headwind with a high frontal area motor home or camper increases the HP needed by quite a bit -- it is actually a very non-linear increase in forces needed. It is basically a cube law relationship. Doubling your speed through the air increases the HP needed by a factor of eight. Given that relationship, driving into a 25 mph headwind at 65 MPG increases the HP needed by 2.65 times over driving at 65 MPH with no wind -- so very likely you were substantially overloading your engine.

You can't cheat physics or its subcategory, fluid dynamics...

I'll bet your mileage also dropped like a rock trying to maintain that 65 MPH into a stiff breeze... !!

Hope all this lets your head be a bit bigger now...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:08 AM   #3
BigHead

Thanks for the Info on the wind it does make sense but I’m gonna clean the radiator real good and see if the helps any I worry about it getting warm pulling a trailer with my motorcycle in it nut we will find out may just have to drive 55 all the way to sturgis come August
BigHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 09:33 AM   #4
Chuck v

My Tour Master diesel with the MB 330HP engine will cruise 60 to 65 on flat terrain towing my Acura, but I expect to slow a bit on hills and into any wind. The 425 may be just a bit less sensitive -- but why press it. It is after all a RECREATIONAL vehicle, not a STRESS vehicle...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote