PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy 2004 GS Friendship G7 Quatro

RobSlar
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Wondering if there are any problems in getting replacement parts for a used GS these days? Is GS still in business or is it THOR now?

RJ82much
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Obtaining most parts in a Gulf Stream should not present any major problems. Take a look in your coach & you'll notice that almost every item is made by some other manufacturer. Essentially, all Gulf Stream (and others) do is assemble them. A few products, such as cabinetry, are made by the Gulf Stream craftsmen. However, even those products can be purchased from others, even to custom sizes.

Where you'll run into problems are body parts made to Gulf Stream drawings, though by others. Examples are the huge front & rear caps. Those fiberglass (?) layups are made to Gulf Stream spec, as well as lower compartment doors.

There are several RV surplus firms in the Elkhart, IN area, who buy up all leftover invenventory from the coach manufacturers and sell it online.

A final note: contray to the industry rumors, it is not likely that Gulf Stream, as a company, will expire. They are not currently manufacturing class A's (nor C's?) but continue activity in the towable arena. Execs from Gulf Stream have moved over to a new name to manufacture A's (so go the news flashes). I'm almost guessing that we shouldn't be surprised to see "familiar" floor plans and design features as these new units hit the streets. That's only a guess though.

RayChez1
12-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I was talking by phone about three weeks ago with one of their employees and he told me that they are manufacturing class C motorhomes and trailers at the moment. But that as soon as the economy picks up, they will start manufacturing class A coaches again. They are family owned, so that makes them flexable.