PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

mrstator
05-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi...hubby and I just purchased our first Gulfstream travel trailer....the Visa 19ERD. After researching and almost buying a MPG we changed our minds and took a look at the Visa and decided we liked the fact that it had a walk around bed...tub-shower and larger bathroom area. The dinette was bigger, the fridge was bigger, it had an awning unlike the MPG. We are looking forward to taking it out and about soon. We were wondering if GS owners ever gather for rallies etc? or other similar clubs or groups where you can meet with other people. Looking forward to learning all we can from others.

KristinU
05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi! Congrats on your new Visa! I'm a newbie here myself, a wannabe actually. We're interested in the Visa 23BHD.

How do you like your Visa so far? Sounds like you haven't had a chance to get out in it yet, so that might be a premature question :D We too have looked at the MPG and the R-Pod because we love the rounded styling, but the putsy awnings that follow the profile had turned us off (we currently have an Aliner and the awning is so useful but putsy to put up threading poles and staking it out.) A standard pull-out awning is high on our list of criteria in a new camper.

Cheers!
Kristin

mrstator
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi...nice to meet you....nope we haven't had a chance to go out in it yet but we are sure we are going to love it...we just sold our 28 foot motorhome and the Visa is pretty much just a smaller version of it minus the engine. Yeah we at first didn't think the awning was that big of deal but changed our minds. We also decided on the Visa for being able to have grandkids with us at times we hope. Hope it all works out for what you are looking for... Sherry

DonMitsu
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Congratulations! We've had our Visa for almost a year now and love it. It does offer the most functional space in the lightest package.

toaobigal
05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm also a newbie. I bought a Visa ERD too, today I got the phone call I've been expecting: I'm picking up my Visa on May 19th. I bought it at the Montreal RV show 2 month ago, the next 2 weeks are going to be VERY long...

Timothy
05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
The Visa seems to be very popular! Congratualtions on your new trailers!

mediaman
05-05-2011, 09:37 PM
How exciting!! We love our new Visa ERD!

KristinU
05-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm also a newbie. I bought a Visa ERD too, today I got the phone call I've been expecting: I'm picking up my Visa on May 19th. I bought it at the Montreal RV show 2 month ago, the next 2 weeks are going to be VERY long...

Congrats to you too, Toaobigal! Exciting news indeed!
Do I recognize your screen name from PUX?

Cheers,
Kristin

toaobigal
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Yes, it seems I went to the dark side as they say on that forum. I had a Rockwood PUP last summer, a couple reasons made us realise we need a travel trailer instead.

KristinU
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes, it seems I went to the dark side as they say on that forum. I had a Rockwood PUP last summer, a couple reasons made us realise we need a travel trailer instead.

LOL, well congrats on your move to the dark side! It seems that we're not far behind you...although with a hard side PUP I guess we might be kind of "darkish" already :lol: Still a great group of folks over there and I don't plan to leave regardless of what we're camping in.

Cheers,
Kristin

toaobigal
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Today, I actualy saw MY trailer, it has arrived at the dealer. I'll take delivery on May 19th. I was not able to go inside, they parked it between 2 other trailers with 6 inches clearance! Those 2 weeks are gonna take forever...

mrstator
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I know the feeling of not being able to wait two weeks...I get mine the middle of next week and I can hardly wait...plan to take it out in two weeks to test it out. Looking for any excuse to go someplace now...lol. Sherry

KristinU
05-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Y'all are getting so close to delievry - fun! How long has it taken from order until scheduled delivery?

toaobigal
05-08-2011, 06:47 PM
In my case, almost 2 month. The first month was not too bad, we still had some snow, it was cold and all the campgrounds in my area were closed. But now, many campgrounds opened this week end, it's nice outside and apart from all the flooding we have in the area, I can't wait to go camping. I pick my trailer up on a Thursday and we leave Friday night because for us the following Monday is a holiday. We haven't decided yet but so far it looks like a trip to Lake George NY.

KristinU
05-09-2011, 08:50 AM
In my case, almost 2 month. The first month was not too bad, we still had some snow, it was cold and all the campgrounds in my area were closed. But now, many campgrounds opened this week end, it's nice outside and apart from all the flooding we have in the area, I can't wait to go camping. I pick my trailer up on a Thursday and we leave Friday night because for us the following Monday is a holiday. We haven't decided yet but so far it looks like a trip to Lake George NY.

Thanks Toaobigal! 8 weeks would be cutting it awfully close to the 4th of July weekend, which we already have reservations for...and presumably whoever would be buying our current camper would probably want to use it for their own holiday weekend as well. And we have two reservations between now and then too, not the end of the world to cancel or postpone, but still. :?

toaobigal
05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
It might not be 8 weeks for you, I'm in Canada and these trailer are buitl in Indiana I think . My dealer only sends his truck to pick trailers when there is a full load and then everything has to go through customs so I guess it could be faster in your case since you're in the US. Another good news for me today: my PUP was on the dealer's lot (they are selling it for me) and they sold it today, I have to sign the papers tomorow and then bye bye PUP (I'll miss it) so one less thing to worry about. :D

toaobigal
05-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Today it rained on my parade: the guy who bought my PUP ended up cancelling :(

KristinU
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear that...but I'm sure the right buyer will come along for it!

toaobigal
05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I think I was a victim of Murpy's law: I should have waited to have the check in hand before posting about it! (next time I say it's sold, it will really be sold). On the brighter side, I received my Maxxair, for the bathroom vent, and I also have the tv set to go in the trailer and the Weber Q100 grill is on it's way. Good thing I have next Thursday off, I want everything to be ready to leave on Friday after work.

KristinU
05-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, add me to the waiters club! We ordered our Visa 23BHD on Friday. :D

toaobigal
05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Congratulations, I hope you don't have to wait too long!

KristinU
05-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Congratulations, I hope you don't have to wait too long!
Me too! Supposedly it is on the production line right now and due to be finished in the next week or two. We're hoping for a mid-late June delivery date.

You don't have much longer to wait now! This is the week, right?

toaobigal
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes it's coming soon, this Thursday. We're taking it Saturday to Lake George NY, we have a long week-end. I just hope we don't have to '' camp'' at the border! (sometimes it takes forever)

KristinU
05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Yes it's coming soon, this Thursday. We're taking it Saturday to Lake George NY, we have a long week-end. I just hope we don't have to '' camp'' at the border! (sometimes it takes forever)
But just thionk...if you do get hung up in a long wait at the border you can just hop out of the car, open the Visa door and make sandwiches! :mrgreen:

toaobigal
05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
It looks like we won't be going to the US after all, at least not this week end: my wife is sick and if we wait to our next long week-end (June 24th) we will have more $$$ to spend. Every time we go to the States, it turns into a shopping spree. But we're still going camping, we'll just go closer to home. I learned today that I'm getting a 2012 model instead of a 2011, wonder if there's a difference between the 2?

danmartx
06-19-2011, 06:38 AM
I am also a newbie! We are looking at a 19ERD and was quoted a price of $18995 for a 2011. After reading the forum I am leary of getting one. What is the best price for a 2011? Help...we want one but don't want to get taken.

tinapetel
06-19-2011, 06:49 AM
We paid less than $16,000 for our ERD

danmartx
06-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Thank you so much...guess I have some dickering to do! We are in Texas and you know things are bigger in Texas, including prices!

TXDego
06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
danmartx, Unfortunately living in TX costs us a bit more than everyone else due to the cost of shipping. We bought our 2011 19RSD for $16K and the it took us several attempts to get a dealer to say yes. The factory is in Indiana, so the farther you get from the factory, the more things will cost due to shipping, its a cost that every dealer must bear, so you have the fixed cost of the trailer that I am assuming all dealers must pay, then you have to add in the shipping costs.

Before we bought our, I spoke with about 20 dealers through the entire US. Ohio seems to have the best pricing, mainly due to their proximity to the dealer. Somewhere at or around $15K is as cheap as you will find these, after that it is a matter of shipping to add in. I got several quotes from shipping companies for hauling through UShip, figure $1K will get a trailer shipped pretty much anywhere to TX. Priced exact same trailer from locations all around US, added in the costs of shipping, etc. Ended up buying our trailer in West Houston, but had to do a fair amount of arm twisting to get them to say yes to our offer of $16K.

Every dealer I spoke with, regardless of location in the US, brought up the shipping cost from factory to their location as a factor in their costs. Every dealer I spoke with sure wanted to sell us a trailer, but everyone sure cried when I started of the discussion of only willing to pay $15K. Always started with this is what I am willing to pay, and left the conversation with you have my number and email, fell free to contact me when you are willing to get serious and make a deal. Sure enough, they always followed up, but none would give me the deal we wanted. Finally, one got hungry enough to get real, and we ended up agreeing on $16K.

There was one poor dealer(Bastrop area) that was so dumb I still can't believe his stupidity. He had two 2010 models on his lot, and he would not come below $16,500, I kept telling him that the 2012 models were out already and that his 2010 models were dropping in value daily, but he still would not bite. I would not have been willing to pay more than $14K for a 2010 model due to all the problems the 2010's had that they fixed in the 2011 model, but still, poor guys going to have to find a sucker or hope a tornado comes through this lot to get rid of those 2010's.

Good Luck!

mediaman
06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
You also have to dig a little deeper and find out exactly what the quoted price includes. I know they will tell you the standard stuff like water hose, sewer hose, full propane tanks but I needed the electric brakes wired, sway bar and lifter system installed. Dealers also charge different amounts for title and processing. Once I compared all of those costs, a dealer less than 2 hours away had the best deal.