Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
albertaduke
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 1
Default SUN VOYAGER ELECTRICS

i HAVE A 2007 SUN VOYAGER 8389

ONE OF THE COACH BATTERY LITERALLY EXPLODED WHILE PARKED AND CONNECTED TO SHORE POWER LAST WEEK . THE LOCAL ELECTRICIAN CHECKED ALL ,THE DC CIRCUIT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS AND THE CONCLUSION IS ONE OF THE TWO POSITIVE WIRE COMING OUT OF THE CONVERTER (110 INTO 12VOLTS) IS OPEN THE OTHER GOES TO THE BATTERY . WE CANNOT GET ANY DIAGRAMS FROM THE FACTORY OR ANY DEALERS AND WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS DOWNSTREAM ON THAT PARTICULAR 12 VOLTS LINE COMING OUT OF THE CONVERTER , WE TESTED AND IT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES

OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING VERY WRONG IS CAUSING THE PRIMARY COACH BATTERY TO EXPLODE , AND IF SOMEBOBY KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR HAS DIAGRAMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE IT IS A MAJOR PROBLEM!!
albertaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
RJ82much
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 572
Default

Patrick,

I became quite concerned as I read your description of the problem. Of course I can't evaluate the cause long distant, but there are certain details that must be considered.

Batteries don't generally explode, so I have to ask what could cause this to happen? The plates could have buckled & shorted, perhaps due to too high load (short circuit). Too high of a charge rate, hydrogen gassing, etc. I would add that an AC voltage applied could cause that result as well.

Since I have just experienced a failure of the Progressive Dynamics 80 amp converter, resulting in a fire under the bed, I urge caution on your part. I'm NOT saying this is what happened or is happening.

If you lost the ground at the campground shore power, even for a short time, it is possible to apply 240 volts to your 120volt rv circuits. This can happen even when plugging in the power cord with the service breaker on. That can apparently damage the converter. In my case, the 12 volts from the battery back-fed thru the burned out convertor diodes, melting the convertor box & burning into my floor more than 1/4 inch. Eventually, the 80 amp circuit breaker in the power compartment tripped.

This all happened with the main dissconnects open, because the converter is always connected to the battery.

As to the converter circuit, one output lead goes thru an 80 amp circuit breaker, to the battery bank (2-12volt batteries connected in parallel. How come only 1 exploded? Maybe it was bad). The other converter lead is ground. I think it might connect to the frame under the floor, though it could run all the way to the front of your unit.

The input is a standard 120volt circuit, protected by a circuit breaker in the panel. You could check for ac being applied to the battery by simply setting your multi-meter to ac scale. If it reads 0 volts when connected to the converter output, or the battery, then all is well.

As helpful as the diagram would be, suffice it that the output is as simple as can be, with the 80amp breaker being the only component between the converter and the batteries.

Had you checked your battery's water levels? Mine have never boiled down, but a near-dry battery could fail a battery in the manner you experienced.

Sorry to go on & on, but yes, I believe you have (or had) a very serious condition. The potential for fire under the bed, or the possibility of hydrogen gas ignition at the battery. But, sadly, I don't have any easy solution.
__________________
Bob

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
streamers
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I-79 Slippery Rock, Pa
Posts: 6
Default

Didn't have our batteries explode but we purchased new 2008 Sun Voyager. 2nd night out we had dead batteries. Turned out the batteries were dated and manufactured in 2005. The dealer paid to have the two batteries replaced as Gulf Stream refused to do anything. Gulf Stream Rep Jim Creech told us the dealers had to accept the responsibility for maintenance. Could yours have been old and dried out?
__________________
2008 8389MXG Sun Voyager,
6Persian Cats:Mon-E,Rose-E,Dix-E,Pollyanna,King&Westin 1 Teacup Yorkie:Hap-E
streamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×